Welcome to the Revolution

Hi there, welcome to my blog - La Revolution Deux. It's an odd name - but I like it! Here you will find all the info on my various DIY Guitar effects builds, amplifiers and guitars. Everything from a humble Ibanez tubescreamer to the holiest KLON Overdrive.

You may also find a few effects builds that I am looking to move on - usually in exchange for other effects/gear/cash. You can always check my ebay account to see what I've got up for grabs.

Have fun, enjoy the blog - Fred Briggs :-)

CONTACT ME



Feel free to get in contact with me about anything you see on this blog or with any general questions about guitars, amplifiers and effects, I'll be happy to answer! Just click the button above to email me directly or alternately my email address is fredbriggs2007 [at] googlemail [dot] com

Search This Blog

Thursday 19 January 2012

Death by Audio - Supersonic Fuzz Gun

Death by Audio make some mad pedals, this is one of them - it creates some of the most unholy fuzz tones ever heard. Strange choice for The Edge from U2 to stick in his rig but aparently he has!

Here's a description from the Death by Audio website (I don't know why it's all in capitals!):

"THE SUPERSONIC FUZZ GUN IS A COMPLETELY UNIQUE AND HUGE SOUNDING FUZZ PEDAL. THE GOAL OF THE PEDAL WAS TO MAKE A FUZZ WITH THE CAPABILITY OF HAVING AN IMMENSE RANGE OF GREAT AND USABLE FUZZ SOUNDS. THE CONTROLS ARE COMPLETELY INTERACTIVE WITH EACH OTHER TO GIVE THE WIELDER AN INFINITE NUMBER OF GREAT TONES. THERE ARE EXTREMELY (AND I MEAN EXREMELY) HARSH SOUNDS AVAILABLE AND EXTREMELY (YES I MEAN IT AGAIN) WARM SOUNDS AVAILABLE. IT DOES IT ALL. SOUND SAMPLES:

CONTROLS:
BIAS - CHANGES THE OVERALL SOUND OF THE FUZZING
DENSITY - AFFECTS THE FREQUENCY RANGE GOING INTO THE PEDAL
FUZZ - INCREASES THE DISTORTION OF THE SIGNAL
FILTER - FILTERS OUT THE HIGH FREQUENCIES OF THE OUTPUT AND SMOOTHS OUT THE INSANITY
LEVEL - CONTROLS THE MASTER OUTPUT VOLUME OF THE PEDAL
GATE/OSCILATION - SWITCHES BETWEEN A GATED FUZZ TONE AND AN OSCILLATION FUZZ SOUND"

And a demo video for you from ProGuitarShop:


Here's a internal photo provided by Mrutg:

[This is the older version of the pedal]

And here's a schematic provided by Glass_Hero:

And a vero layout by roseblood11:


Check out the really strange bias/orientation of the transistors, probably goes some way to explaining the crazy sound of the Supersonic Fuzz Gun.

And the freestompboxes.org forum thread for reference: http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12689

7 comments:

  1. what is the resistor for the led?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, 1k for LED

    ReplyDelete
  3. For r10, marked as LED, does it matter which way I put in the LED, also will a 5mm green led work? Thanks in advance for answering my noob questions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to create this, but there is no effect of the "filter" even if you move the knob. Why ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I'd love to attempt this build. This would be my first attempt at an effects pedal also. I'm finding it a little difficult to understanding the vero-layout and how I'd even start this project. I understand I may be to inexperienced at the moment for this site but would really appreciate any help getting off the ground with this build.
    Thanks
    Chris

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome on Revolution Deux. However, please do not spam links to unrelated sites - these comments will be removed! Thanks - Briggs.