Welcome to the Revolution

Hi there, welcome to my blog - La Revolution Deux. It's an odd name - but I like it! Here you will find all the info on my various DIY Guitar effects builds, amplifiers and guitars. Everything from a humble Ibanez tubescreamer to the holiest KLON Overdrive.

You may also find a few effects builds that I am looking to move on - usually in exchange for other effects/gear/cash. You can always check my ebay account to see what I've got up for grabs.

Have fun, enjoy the blog - Fred Briggs :-)

CONTACT ME



Feel free to get in contact with me about anything you see on this blog or with any general questions about guitars, amplifiers and effects, I'll be happy to answer! Just click the button above to email me directly or alternately my email address is fredbriggs2007 [at] googlemail [dot] com

Search This Blog

Sunday 22 January 2012

Durham - Crazy Horse


The Durham Crazy Horse - an overdrive/boost/fuzz unit. It's pretty expensive too at $250 for a new one. Here's the description from the Durham website:

"This is, I believe, the most adaptable distortion/fuzz pedal on the market. Definitely not a one trick pony! Though the inspiration for this pedal came from a legendary tone, it’s versatility is endless. The controls required to obtain that classic tone also allow you to get any other tone you may dream up."

And a ProGuitarShop demo video of the Crazy Horse in action:


And a schematic from Phibies:


As you can see it's an opamp gain stage into a fuzz face type circuit. I don't know why they don't use that opamp that's after the first stage to buffer the tone section. Strange that.

Here's a PCB layout from Barcode: http://www.box.com/s/ndfz4e7spslljuuruevj

Here's the freestompboxes.org forum topic for reference: http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3186

2 comments:

  1. "...I don't know why they don't use that opamp that's after the first stage to buffer the tone section. Strange that."

    I think it´s because the fuzz face circuit made of Q1 and Q2 shows a fairly low input impedance that need to be buffered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question on the PCB layout. Is it to scale? Just wanted to make sure if I decide to etch one.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome on Revolution Deux. However, please do not spam links to unrelated sites - these comments will be removed! Thanks - Briggs.